Renal artery stenosis is a disease in which renal artery get narrow due to fibromuscular dysplasia or atherosclerosis. In this state renal artery can impede blood flow and leads to renal failure. Now we will talk about that what is renal- renal means anything related to kidney so renal arteries are those arteries, which carries blood from the heart to kidney. These arteries extend to kidney and it purifies this blood. When the diameter of the renal artery is decreased then in this state arties cannot carry the right amount of blood and kidney stops its proper functioning that leads to kidney failure and causes many problems.
There are many important causes of renal artery stenosis but some of the most important are :–
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Dissection- when the blood walls are divided
These are the most crucial points that declare the causes of this disease. When people suffers from this disease they can recognize it by these points like – if person is suffering from high blood pressure regularly, dehydration, increased blood aldosterone level. If person is having suffering from these symptoms then he/she should immediately contact doctor to start its treatment. Doctor must suggests these test to diagnose renal artery stenosis :–
- Magnetic Resonance Angiography
- Computed Tomography Angiography
- Captopril Renal Scintigraphy
- Captopril Test
These are the certain important test, which are referred by the specialist to diagnose this disease and to know its actual stage. After having these suggested tests doctor can start its treatment with the help of medicines or with surgical procedure, it totally depends on the situation. Doctors prefer treatment if renal artery stenosis is not at its crucial stage. Doctors suggest medicines and by other treatment to cure yourself from this disease. This treatment depends upon the cause of the blockage and improper functioning of kidney, doctors provide medications to control but when these treatments get failed then it leads to surgery. When medications and lifestyle changes are not enough to handle renal artery stenosis, then it arises the need of surgery. Surgery includes :–
- Renal endarterectomy- In this procedure doctors removes plaques from the renal arteries and stitches closed the arotic incision.
- Renal Artery Bypass – In this open surgery doctor grafts a substitute artery to make a new way to flow to reach the kidney.
- Renal Angioplasty and Stenting – In this procedure doctor opens the narrow arteries by passing a thin long tube to the affected artery, the doctor inflates a balloon on the tip of tube and Flattens the flat and cholesterol plaques on the artery wall. In this type of surgery doctor places a small thin tube to open the artery.
These above are the some treatments and surgeries that makes patient free from this disease, which is dangerous. Nowadays many people are suffering from this disease due to hypertension and drinking which affects our kidneys badly.